Yep, you read that right! Strawberry BBQ sauce is a thing. It is wonderfully tasty on your favorite prepared chicken! I personally love it drizzled over a grilled chicken salad! You can make it spicy or leave it simply sweet and tangy – your choice!
1 small orange habanero pepper – seeds discarded, chopped fine – (optional)
2 cloves garlic, chopped fine
2 tbsp. fresh ginger, chopped fine
1 cup finely chopped fresh strawberries
1 tbsp. olive oil
1 10 oz. jar of your favorite strawberry fruit spread (not jelly!)
1 tbsp. soy sauce
1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp. dried mustard
salt and pepper to taste
Put it all together:
- In a medium pot, add the habanero pepper, garlic, ginger, olive oil, a pinch of salt, and fresh strawberries.
- Cook over medium heat until the strawberries start to break down, about 6-7 minutes.
- Add in the fruit spread, soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce, and dried mustard.
- Bring to a light simmer, stirring until well combined.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool at least a half an hour.
- Transfer to a food processor and puree until smooth.
- Return the sauce back to the pan and bring to a simmer and allow it to reduce for about 10 minutes more, over low heat.
- Season the sauce with salt and pepper to taste. Remember, this sauce will continue to thicken as it cools – so be sure to not overcook it!
NOTE: This is a sauce that will burn quickly on a grill. If you are going to brush on your grilled chicken – wait till the last 5-10 minutes of grilling to put the sauce on your chicken. You can also toss cubed or thinly sliced chicken in the sauce and serve over rice for a new twist on a Sweet n Sour Chicken!
Store in an airtight container for up to a week in the fridge (if it lasts that long!)