YUM! Chicken Avocado Soup! Everyone knows that you need chicken soup when you aren’t feeling your best. Everyone also knows chicken soup is good for the soul, and those chilly, rainy, autumn days too! Here is a sassy version of one of the greatest food classics ever! Surprisingly, the avocado gives this soup a nice, creamy taste to counter some of the spicy-ness.
4 (6inch) tortillas (you can choose either corn or flour, slice them into very thin strips)
1 ½ tbsp. olive oil
1 white onion (sliced thin)
8 cloves fresh garlic (sliced thin)
4 jalapeno peppers (sliced – you decide if you want to use the seeds or not)
2 large boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into thin strips
1-quart chicken stock (not broth!)
¼ cup fresh lime juice
1 large tomato (remove seeds and dice)
1 large avocado (peeled, seeded, diced)
¼ cup fresh cilantro leaves (chopped, and this is optional)
1 tsp each Salt and Pepper, plus more, if needed
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Arrange the sliced tortillas on a baking sheet and bake for 3-5 minutes, till browned. Remove and set aside.
- Heat a large saucepan over medium heat.
- Cook sliced onion, garlic, and jalapenos in the olive oil, just until lightly browned, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the chicken strips, stock, lime juice, tomato, salt, and pepper.
- Simmer this until the chicken strips are cooked through, about 5-10 minutes.
- Stir in the avocado and cilantro, and cook till heated through.
- Sprinkle more salt and/or pepper – if needed.
- Ladle soup into bowls and top with the browned tortillas.