Berry Crumble Bars
Nonstick baking spray
2 1/2 cups fresh or frozen berries (I like a mix
of blueberries and quartered strawberries)
1 tablespoon granulated or brown sugar
1 lemon, zested, then 1/2 the lemon, juiced
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
Pinch fine salt
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups rolled oats
1 cup lightly packed light brown sugar
1 teaspoon fine salt
10 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Spray a 9-inch square baking pan with baking spray and line with parchment paper, leaving an overhang on two sides of the pan (for easy removal after baking).
- For the fruit: In a medium bowl, toss together the berries, sugar, lemon zest and juice, vanilla, and salt. Set aside.
- For the crumble: In a large bowl, combine the flour, oats, brown sugar, and salt. Add the butter and use your hands to work the butter into the oat mixture until crumbly and combined.
- Press a little more than half of the crumble into your prepared pan. Pour the sugared berries over the pressed crust and top with the remaining crumble.
- Bake the bars for 25 minutes, then reduce the oven temperature to 350 degrees F and continue baking until the center is bubbly and the topping is golden, 30 to 35 minutes. Let cool completely, lift out of the pan, and slice into 16 bars.
Yield: 16 bars