Tasty, warm Cheesy Zucchini Bread – a perfect way to use up leftover zucchini from the garden, makes a great house warming gift, or serve with your favorite pasta dinner!
1 1/2 cup zucchini, shredded (do not squeeze)*
1/4 cup green onion, sliced (optional)
2 large eggs
3/4 cup sour cream
1/4 cup butter, melted
1 1/2 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
- Mix the zucchini, green onions, eggs, sour cream, and butter well before mixing in the cheese.
- Mix the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Mix the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and pour the batter into a greased 9×5 inch loaf pan.*
- Bake in a preheated 350F/180C oven until a toothpick pushed into the center of the bread comes out clean, about 50-70 minutes.
- Let cool a bit before running a knife around the inside edge of the pan, removing the loaf, slicing and enjoying topped with melted butter.
*Note: The zucchini is the source of some of the liquid for this recipe so after you shred the zucchini do not squeeze out or drain off any of its liquid. Because zucchini has different amounts of liquid if your batter ends up being too thick to pour into the pan, feel free to mix in 1-2 tablespoons of milk or water.
*Option: Replace the sour cream with buttermilk (or milk) and squeeze as much extra liquid out of the zucchini as you can.
*Option: Use different kinds of cheese like Gruyere! Sprinkle an additional 1/2 cup shredded cheese on top of the batter before baking to have a nice cheese-covered top!!