An awesome candy to make any time of the year, English Toffee spruces up any office potluck, or candy dish at your Auntie’s house!
Ingredients for English Toffee:
14 tablespoons (1 stick, plus 6 tablespoons) butter
1 cup sugar
1 1/2 tsp fresh grated nutmeg
2 tablespoons cold water
1/2 c chopped pecans, divided (optional)
1/2 c chopped almonds, divided (optional)
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 (6-ounce) bag semisweet or dark chocolate chips
Generously buttered cookie sheet.
- Put butter, sugar, and water in a heavy pan or skillet over medium-high heat.
- Bring to a bubbling boil, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon, about 10 minutes.
- Remove spoon from pan, and cook to a very brittle stage (300 degrees to 310 degrees F on a candy thermometer).
- Or, make a cold water test: candy will separate into hard, brittle threads when dropped in cold water.
- Remove from heat and add 1/4 cup each of nuts to mixture. Add vanilla and salt.
- Pour onto prepared cookie sheet and spread to 1/4-inch thickness.
- Cool slightly, top with chocolate chips, and spread as it melts.
- Top with remaining nuts.
- Cool completely and break into pieces.
- Store in an airtight container.