A lovely appetizer that is sure to “Wow” your guests, this Glazed-Fruit Cheesecake will a wonderful appetizer or an eye-catching centerpiece for a holiday appetizer buffet. It can also be substituted for the cheese and fruit course, or even the dessert course. Serve with a favorite red wine, champagne, or with your favorite bubbly!
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
1/2 cup plain dry breadcrumbs
3/4 cup walnuts, finely chopped
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 pound cream cheese, softened
1/2 pound grated Parmigiano Reggiano
2 large egg yolks, whites reserved
5 tablespoons heavy cream
2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
1/2 teaspoon white pepper
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1 1/2 tablespoon finely minced shallot
Pinch of cream of tartar
GLAZED FRUIT TOPPING:
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 small tart green apple, sliced with peel
6 dried figs, quartered
Zest of 1 orange, then juice, reserving the juice
1/3 cup chopped walnuts
1/3 cup dried cherries
1/3 cup apple jelly
- Grease the inside of an 8″ springform pan. Set aside. Preheat oven to 325° F.
- Prepare the crust by combining the melted butter, breadcrumbs, walnuts, and salt. Press mixture into the bottom of prepared springform pan.
- Blend cream cheese and Parmigiano Reggiano until smooth. Add egg yolks one at a time, until blended. Blend in cream. Add mustard, pepper, cornstarch and minced shallots. Blend until smooth.
- In another mixing bowl, beat egg whites with cream of tartar until stiff but not dry. Fold gently into cheese mixture. Spoon into pan and be sure to smooth the surface of the mixture.
- Bake one hour. Turn oven off and leave the cake inside without opening door for one hour. Then remove the cheesecake and cover with a damp towel. Cool to room temperature.
- To make glazed fruit topping, melt butter in a sauté pan. Add the apples, figs, orange zest, orange juice, walnuts and cherries and simmer on low until apples are just tender. Spoon topping over cheesecake.
- Heat apple jelly in a small pan set over low until just melted. Brush jelly over fruit to add shine. Serve the Glazed-Fruit Cheesecake at room temperature.
Serves 12 – 16 people.
©CookingWithLisaB.com. All Rights Reserved.